It’s rhubarb season.
The rhubarb has really been growing over the past couple of weeks and it was time to do some delicious baking with it. I’m not a pie maker but do make cakes, muffins and crumble.
For this rhubarb cake you need a gluten free white cake mix, miniature marshmallows, a box of strawberry jelly powder, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and of course some freshly picked rhubarb.
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups gluten free mini white marshmallows
- 1 box strawberry jelly powder
- gluten free white cake mix
- topping – 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup brown sugar
Marshmallows are usually made with wheat starch, and to be gluten free they should be made with corn starch. Be sure to read the label.
- mix cake mix according to directions
- grease 9×12 baking dish
- layer in rhubarb, sugar, marshmallows, jelly powder and then pour cake mix evenly over the top
- combine topping of cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the top of the cake mix
- bake for 40minutes at 350 degrees F.
Serve right from the baking dish to the plate as it would be very difficult to remove the cake. Don’t forget to add a scoop of ice cream.
The top is crunchy and the bottom is gooey and delicious.
What is your favourite recipe to make with rhubarb?
Find a yummy recipe to cook.
Trick: Here is a little trick to remember how to not get desert and dessert mixed up. Desert only has one s because you only want to be stranded in the desert once, but dessert has 2 s’s because you always want double the dessert!
Some of my favourite Canadian places to buy gluten free mixes and products.