Leek and potato soup has to be one of my all time favourites. The ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten free.
I stopped using ready made veggie and chicken stocks as they have so much salt in them, plus not all of them are gluten free. Cooking the veggies in the water puts all the goodness back and you don’t need the extra ingredients that come in stock.
*** Hint: Waste not want not.
I frequently save the liquid from cooking veggies and potatoes to use as stock for my soups. I also poach chicken in water and save the liquid to use as a base for my chicken soups.
Leeks are a fascinating vegetable to examine. There have fantastic patterns inside when cut in different directions. Leeks belong to the allium vegetable family and contain beneficial compounds found in garlic and onions.
- 300 grams leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 300 grams potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to your taste
- gluten free stock cubes are optional
This soup is already quite thick, but if you want it thicker, just cut down on the amount of liquid.
- Melt some butter in a pan and add leeks and celery and seasoning if you are adding it.
- Stir often until leeks are tender.
- Add water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add stock cubes if using.
- Add potatoes.
- Cook until potatoes are soft. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Pour half of the soup mixture out and puree in a blender.
- Leave the other half chunky.
- Use a potato masher to get the consistency you want. If you want a smoother soup puree more.
- Add puree part back to pot, add milk and heat over medium heat till warm.
- Stir often. Do not boil.
This soup will store in the fridge for a few days or you can freeze individual portions for a later time. I measure out in the soup mug which holds about 2 cups of soup and pour it into labelled freezer bags. It’s hard to believe that the soup mug and the square plastic container hold the same amount. I used to use containers like this in the freezer but they take up so much space. The bags hold the same amount, freeze flat, store inside a box in the freezer and defrost really fast.
This time I doubled the recipe so there some to enjoy now and lots for later.
Have you enjoyed a delicious bowl of soup lately?
Soup is always in season, find a delicious recipe that just might become your new favourite.
Find a yummy recipe to cook.