When it gets chilly out it is time to cook a pot of chili. I make lots and freeze it for later, as you never know when you need some comfort food.
- 454 grams of extra lean ground beef
- large can of diced tomatoes
- large can of red kidney beans
- small tin of tomato paste
- chili seasoning to your taste
- sweet onion, about 1/4 cup
- celery, 1 or 2 stalks
- garlic if you wish
Ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten free and I make sure that any tinned ingredients are gluten free before using.
- chop onions and saute in a frypan
- add chopped celery, continue to saute
- add garlic if you choose, the amount is up to your liking
- add ground beef
Cook, stirring frequently and drain of any extra fat from cooking the ground beef.
- stir in chili powder to suit your taste
- stir in tomato paste
Transfer it into a big pot to simmer. Add the tomatoes and kidney beans. I drain and rinse the kidney beans before adding.
I just love that little gadget that clips onto the side of the pot to rest the spoon on.
It saves having a small bowl or a spoon rest container on the counter. And any drips go right back into the pot.
You can still put the lid on the pot but one side will be a little higher due to the spoon rest.
Once the chili is done, serve with some nice crusty bread and freeze portions for later.
Do you have a favourite kitchen gadget?
Even though chili isn’t really a soup, it is comfort food so I’m still sharing it with Souper Sundays.
Find a yummy recipe to cook.