Do you love chutney? Here is a delicious apple ginger chutney that I made at one of the zoom cooking classes I participate in each month.
This class is sponsored by a local retirement home through the Senior Room at the Quinte Sport and Wellness Center. They used to sponsor a monthly luncheon for seniors but once Covid lockdown was put in place they switched to zoom classes, and it has been that way ever since.
All ingredients are provided and I just have to pick them up the day before the class. You get just the amount you need, which usually feeds two people. This is perfect for me as all ingredients are naturally gluten free.
- 1 lb granny smith apples
- 40 ml ginger root
- 85n g dried apricot
- 200 ml apple juice
- 220 g diced celery
- 300 ml cider vinegar
- 360 g sugar
- 28 ml lemon juice
- Bring all ingredients to a boil except the apples.
- Add apples.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring often, until most of liquid is evaporated and sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly.
- Transfer to storage container or small mason jars.
- Cover mixture with small piece of saran wrap, leave room for air to escape.
- Once cooled, remove saran wrap and add lids. Transfer to fridge.
Absolutely delicious. I love the colour and consistency of it. Serve with crackers, cheese, sausage (gluten free), pork, or whatever you enjoy.
Small jars of this would be the perfect homemade gift.
I will definitely be making more of this apple ginger chutney.
Find a yummy recipe to cook.