It is a stormy Sunday with rain and wind. The perfect day for some delicious tasty chunky tomato potato soup.
I like soups and stews the day after they are cooked, as they are always thicker and tastier. So this soup was made yesterday but will be eaten today. Of course the cook had to taste test it a few times!
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- garlic if you prefer
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups water, or gluten free stock
I used frozen onion and celery from all the frozen goodness I made in the summer. You can of course, use fresh chopped. I just made sure they were defrosted before sauteing them in oil.
Another one of my favourite cooking utensils is this chopper. It has a serrated edge and is a quick and easy way to chop veggies. All ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten free.
- saute onions and celery until tender in oil
- add carrots, potatoes, stir well
- add italian seasoning and garlic
- stir well
- slowly add milk, stir well
- bring to boil slowly
- add broth and tomatoes
- I also added a half cup of frozen peas, but that is your decision
- mix well
- return to boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are soft
Once cooked I take just under half of the soup and put it in the blender to reach a smooth consistency. Then I add it back to the rest of the soup and mix well.
The soup is creamy and chunky and tastes delicious.
What a difference a week makes, last week we were basking in near 20 Celsius weather and enjoying bbq’d fried egg sandwiches, and this week we are chilly and needing comfort food.
Soup is always in season, find a delicious recipe that just might become your new favourite.
My cooking is always gluten free. Find a yummy recipe to cook.